PEPPERTOWN IS HERE!!!

BUBBLE FOX

BUBBLE FOX
Now "Popping" at the CRAZY Forest! Updates Tuesdays and Thursdays

Check Out My Twitter

Friday, May 6, 2011

COMICS WEEK IS HERE!!! WITH GUESTS!!!

The Wizard World show in Anaheim was a lot of fun. It would have been a lot better if my allergies and asthma hadn't been bothering me so much, but what're ya gonna do? I made a lot of new friends and saw a lot of great art. I also caught up with my old pal Phil Yeh for a little bit. Phil's one of the best guys you'll ever meet. In the short time I've known him, he has had a very profound impact on me. His latest graphic novel, The Sunflower Girl, is completely wordless. While showing it to me, he said " Jon, I think you were on to something with these wordless comics you do!" It was quite the compliment and I was very flattered. In truth, Phil has been doing wordless comics for years. But if my work really did influence him in some small way, I'd be very proud. All in all, it was good time and I can't wait 'til next year, when I finally get my own table!

Anyway, it's time for some comics. So enjoy the show!


Poor Mindy. Those bloomers always seem to be a source of grief for her.


As I said earlier, I made a lot new friends in Anaheim last weekend, and many of them really took a liking to Mike and Mindy. A few were even kind enough to draw the mischievous pair in their own styles. So enjoy the guest gallery folks!


This piece is by Dan Smith. He liked my style and asked me to draw one his characters for his collection. In return, he did these portraits Mike and Mindy for me. I must say, they look totally insane in these drawings. It's weird seeing them rendered in a more realistic style. To see more of Dan's work, check out his sights here:

www.dansmith-smif.com

www.smifink/deviantart.com


This piece is by James Riot. It's actually spread out across two cards, hence the reason there's a seem in the middle of the action. James is a phenomenal artist and sketched this thing like mad in the closing minutes of the convention. He also offered some great tips on coloring and printing, which is always useful when you're a self-publisher. I also like that he put Mike and Mindy in this Dragon Ball-style battle with each other, which captured the essence of the art of the postcards I was passing out. To see more of James' work, check out his sight at:

www.olddyingkitty.com


This piece is by Witchman artist R.C. Young and I have to admit, it was my favorite of all the guest pieces. It's a little sad actually, because she drew Mike and Mindy better than I do! Still, she captured the rivalry between to two kids and made them look really cute in the process. More of R.C.'s work can be found at:

www.witchmancomic.com



This piece is by artist Jen Wang. The piece is funny, but I have to admit, I'm a little troubled that she drew Mike in such a perverted manner. Still, I love her style. Unfortunately, she didn't leave a card or site address, but I'm sure google will very easily find her work for you if you're interested.



This piece is by Ambrose Quintanilla, IV. He's a very funny guy and a great artist with a style not all that different from mine. To see more of Ambrose's work check out his site at:

www.facebook.com/gopherit



This last piece is by artist Nathaniel Osollo. Nathan's a good guy who did this outrageously funny commissioned piece that had Jay and Silent Bob playing cards with a bunch of sci-fi and comic book characters. To see more of his work, check out one of his many sites at:

www.eyedraugh.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/eyedraugh

www.coroflot.com/eyedraugh

www.issuu.com/eyedraugh

Well folks, that's it for this week. I'll be back next time with some picks and more stories from the anaheim convention. Until next time, I'll catch y'all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment